Regatta Review #198

Monday, July 8, 2013

The Indiana Governor's Cup Was Cancelled

Madison, Indiana - The worsening flood conditions along the Ohio River have forced H1 Unlimited and the Madison Regatta to cancel this year's Lucas Oil Indiana Governor's Cup Race.

With high water rising above the entire pit area along Madison's riverfront, officials had little choice but to cancel the event after monitoring the situation for the past three days and seeing the river jump from a projected 29-foot crest to more than 34.4 feet this morning and approaching 36 feet later in the day. Normal conditions range between 18-24 feet.

"We had held out hope these past three days that the rain east of here would subside and the river levels would fall," said Sam Cole, Chairman of H1 Unlimited. "We had created contingency plans for launching the boats but the rising water wouldn't allow for any other option." "Our teams and the Madison Regatta organization were prepared to do their parts, but the weather and the Ohio River were not cooperative," Cole added.

With the entire region under Flash Flood warnings the past three days, swift currents, considerable debris and unfavorable forecasts prevented a postponement until Monday officials pointed out. The river is expected to crest this afternoon and then only drop a half foot by tomorrow.

"We were prepared to race at 29 feet," said H1 Unlimited Chief Referee Mike Noonan, but instead of dropping, the River has raised another 10 feet since Friday, making racing impossible."

The event will not be rescheduled in 2013 and will resume on its normal July 4 weekend dates in 2014. "This saddens us greatly," Cole stated. "We wanted to race for our fans and for Madison. There is always a possibility, but none of us could have predicted the water levels and debris that have made this a challenging decision."

"Although we did our best with an Open House provided by all of our teams along the riverfront yesterday and now today, there is no substitute for racing. But this has been beyond everyone's control and all we can do is look forward to an exciting race next year."

The H1 series resumes next weekend in Detroit for the APBA Gold Cup race.

Credentials For Judges Stand Workers

It has been brought to my attention that Judges Stand volunteers pick up their Credentials at Judges Stand.

Wednesday: 11:30am-6:00pm
Thursday (Safety Practice day): 8:00am-5:00pm
Friday: 10:00am-7:00pm

Race Site Setup Is In Full Gear

Starting July Fourth anyone can come down any day to help. We will be there setting up rain or shine.

- Jim Verkennis, Event Operations team

Jim Garza Memorial

The DRRA will hold a Memorial Service for Jim Garza on Friday night at the volunteer tent after the course closes. A start time of 7:30 seems reasonable since the course closes at 7pm that day.

It's an informal get together. We are inviting Jim's family (though we're not yet sure if they're able to attend). This race and the people involved in racing were Jim's passion. We will supply light snacks - veggie tray, chips and dip, and people are free to bring other snacks as well as their own drinks.

We will be asking Jim Riley if he can do an opening prayer for us, then it will be open to anyone who wants to share a story about Jim. We will conclude it with the laying of a wreath in the Roostertail turn.

Share this page